BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 3, 2011

Welcome in 2011!

Well we are glad for the New Year to be in. Not too glad about how it rolled in. To start off with, and I am not complaining, I am just telling what has happened. Anyway, to start off with Friday the 31st, I go to work in Pioche with 2 clients, come back to Panaca and work with another client. Which is a pretty normal Friday for me. Then the fun begins, for those of you who don't know, we take care, as best we can, of David's brothers' car wash here in Panaca. His brother lives in Utah, and it is a little easier with us here to help him out. Although I am not sure with Dave being up in Ely I alone have made it any easier or him, but I hope so. So I go over to make sure the car wash is clean and things are running the way they should be. I find that one of the self serve bays, there are 2, the water gun is frozen and not dripping water as it should be. I found this out as I was putting down some rock salt to melt the ice from the water dripping off the roof. So I took this nozzle and placed it on the ground, out of the way of any car that would drive into that bay, in the sun. So it could melt the ice in it. Then I went over to the automatic and took of some plugs on the rocker arms for the tire blasters. (Sounds so technical, huh?) So they wouldn't freeze.

All this time I had move a U Haul truck back out of the way of a trailer that was going out, and left them both running to warm up. In case they would be going out soon, I needed to make sure they would start. This was the real reason I had gone there,this and taking out that plug thing. and since I was there I did the other things before it got to cold. One of the trailers that was blocked was going out the next morning at 8 a.m.

So I finally get home, we eat dinner, and I am tired from a long day. I wasn't planning on being up for welcoming in the New Year. It was just me and the two kids home anyway, (Dave works up in Ely, Nevada Sunday night through Thursday morning) they were gonna stay up to see the ball drop. You know though how even though your tired with all the excitement of going, going, going, when I got home I wasn't so tired anymore. So I ended up being up for the ball drop. Which was nice. The last time I remember seeing on the clock was 1 a.m., knowing I had to be up at 8 a.m. But it was the weekend, so no big deal.

Well then 730 a.m. I get a call from the people renting the trailer that morning, they are friends, so it's no problem that they called me. Once again, I am not complaining, just telling things as they happened. So I am up, I tell them they need to call his brother and do the contract and then he will call me and we can go down there and hook it all up and go. So we get off the phone so they can call him.

I go to the restroom to do the things you normally do when you first get up in the morning. Like go to the restroom, and wash your face, brush teeth and such. So after flushing the toilet I notice that it kindof was slower then normal to fill back up, and actually kindof stopped before filling fully. I kindof brushed it off, and went to the bathroom sink to turn on the water......but no water came out. UGH!! Now it has been getting down into the low temperatures the last few nights, and I hadn't left the water trickle those previous nights, and it was just fine. But of course, this is New Years day, and I guess it had gotten COLDER last night so it was enough for them to freeze.

So I had Destiny empty out under the counters of the bathroom and kitchen sink, and put the little heaters on in then to heat it up. I know better then this, I know to leave the faucet farthest from the water coming into the house on and trickling. With everything that had gone on the day before I just plain forgot. So I went and told the landlords, told them I had put the heaters on there, asked if there was anything else I should do. They told me just try that for awhile, and if it didn't work to let them know. I did tell them that I had access to this super heater thing at the car wash, yes we are back to the carwash, lol. Because last winter the pipes to the self serve in the attic had frozen and Stephen brought this over to thaw the pipes, and left it here. For that I am so greatful. I tried that for about 3 hours, no results.

By this time I needed to use the restroom again, and there were only a few options with quick access and not a lot of explanation. First thought was Grandma and Grandpa Hill's house, oh wait the water was turned off there and the pipes blown out. Forget that idea. Next thought, the car wash, besides that's where that super cool heater is anyways. Off to the car wash in a hurry, lol. Since we were there and its cold out we brought the heater back with us. Got back home and by that time the landlord was walking over to ask if they had thawed, which they hadn't. I told him I had brought the heater over, so we got that thing pointed at the area under the house where the water comes into the house. Turned that puppy on and my goodness it was blowing heat out right from the get go. Once that bad boy was working it only took about 2 hours to thaw the freeze and get water flowing again.

Well that is my first adventurous post for the New Year! Once again I was not complaining about anything that happened in it. I was just telling things as they happened and how. Then the next day, January 2, was David's birthday. He is now halfway to 70, yes that's right. That has been our joke for this whole last year, and now he is finally there.

Well this has been a L-O-N-G post for me. I will leave you with that for now. I will try to get some pictures of the little bit of snow we have posted. The week before Christmas we had rain for a week. We even had some flooding as a result of it, all the way into Utah. If you are interested in reading about it, it was in our little local newspaper The Lincoln County Record, www.lincolncountyrecord.com . You can also try clicking on the last blog I follow on my list, it says Blogger Login to read, you may be able to see the pictures she posted. Some were of here and some were in Beryl, Utah. Enjoy!

1 comments:

Jenene said...

That's quite the New Year's Eve and Day!
I can't believe that it's colder there than it is here. I just assume that since you're farther south, you wouldn't have to worry about pipes freezing and stuff. But it also depends on how old the pipes are....